Many companies offer a discount to educators, including homeschoolers, with some form of proof that you are an educator. If your state requires a Notice of Intent to Homeschool, or an application to homeschool, you can often use these as adequate proof of homeschooling. For stores that require something different, the reply from your school district, letterhead from your umbrella school, or an identification card from a homeschooling support group are other options. For specific requirements, please ask the individual retailers what they require.*
Below is a list of some companies that offer discounts and/or educator appreciation receptions for homeschoolers. I have linked to the website if one exists, but that does not necessarily mean that the website honors the discount. Most of the sites have a "store locator" where you can find a brick and mortar store near you.
- StartWrite -
use code SW513 for $5.00 off
- Adobe software at up to 75% off for students, teachers, and schools
- Microsoft software at up to 75% off for students, teachers, and schools
- StudyBeat.com -
Brings the very best educational tutorial videos together in one, easy to use, searchable teaching tool; Use promo code HSMOM to receive 25% off.
- ClickN READ Phonics Online Reading program - The world's most advanced phonics software. 100 fun interactive cartoon lessons. Beginning, struggling and learning disabled readers. 60 days risk free. You can try a free lesson here. (Use Promotion Code "THSM" when purchasing to receive a 5% discount!)
- Tutor.com - Use promo code "homeschoolmom"
to get 50 free minutes of online tutoring. You will also receive 10% off
any purchases made within 3 months of signing up.
- GreatScopes.com - Homeschoolers are invited to use the customer code HS10 at checkout, and the discount will immediately be taken off your microscope order of $149 or more.
- Apple Computers - The full line of educational products are available to homeschoolers who meet their state's requirements for legally homeschooling.
- Staples office supply store - call 1-888-636-9555 for information on their Teacher Rewards Program
- Office Depot Star Teacher Program - apply in-store for the card which gives you 10% off of supplies for your school
- OfficeMax - Earn a $10 reward in your MaxPerks account every time you spend a minimum of $75 on qualified* purchases between January 1st — December 31st — up to $100 per calendar year.
- Barnes and Noble bookstore - Educator's Discount Card available in stores only
- Books-A-Million - 20% when you fill out a teacher discount card
- JoAnn Crafts - 15% in-store discount; apply in store and get a 20% discount on your entire purchase on Teacher Appreciation Day
- The Container Store - 15% off for educators on supplies to organize the classroom
- Henne's Drafting & Art Supply - up to 25% discount extended to educators including homeschoolers
- BeadWeaving.com - 10% educator's discount including homeschoolers
- Microscope.com offers a free shipping discount on student-level compound and stereo microscopes. Use coupon code "HSFreeShipping" and mention this website for FREE shipping.
Many museums offer a special membership to educators, so it is always worth it to ask.
*If you wish to know whether a store offers a discount, one way to approach the subject is to ask if that store offers a discount to educators. If the answer is yes, you could pursue whether the discount is extended to homeschoolers as well. If it is not, it is always a good idea to ask in a friendly manner if they have considered extending their educator discount to homeschoolers and give them some stats on the large numbers of local homeschoolers in your area. Often a retailer may not have considered the idea. If one of their competitors does offer such a discount, few retailers want to watch business walk away because they will not meet a competitor's offer.
Have a question? Please check our Frequently Asked Questions page.